They say it takes 21 days to break a habit, and another 21 to make a new one stick.
With August commencing, it feels like a great time for a fresh start, and I’m offering up my own 30 day mind, body, and soul challenge to not only make myself get outside of my comfort zone, but you as well.
Here’s the plan:
I want you to make a list of 30 things that you want to accomplish during this month. The tasks can be whatever you want them to be, but they must be specific, attainable, realistic, and able to be completed in 1 to 30 days.
I’ll be offering up daily inspiration across my social media platforms, and updates on my own progress. Additionally, I’ll be posting workout challenges each week so that you can use them to help with the body aspect.
It’s time we shook stuff up, so let’s do the damn thing!
I’m offering up my own list as inspiration for you, and to also make myself accountable. Feel free to share yours in the comment section, or share this blog piece on your social channels to get as many people as possible in this. Additionally, some of these items are things that I already try to do everyday, but I know I’ve gotten lazy about, so it’s time to reintroduce them in a big way.
1. 1. Be single for 30 days. (No dates allowed).
2. Say 5 things I’m grateful for every morning.
3. Call my family at least once a week.
4. Help a stranger out everyday in some way.
5. Say hello to someone in an elevator, or next to me on the subway.
6. Write a different friend a nice note everyday, letting them know how much I appreciate them. (Insta post, email, fb, or text)
7. Pick up a piece of garbage I see on the street.
8. Leave NYC for at least 2 days.
9. See the sunrise at least once this month.
10. See the sunset along the water at least once this month.
11. Say one thing I like about myself every morning. (Has to be different)
12. Surprise someone in a good way.
13. Do a charitable act.
14. Take a friend out to eat just because, and pick up the check.
15. Buy flowers for someone in a sweet, but unromantic way.
16. Not allowed to look at social media an hour before bed.
17. Journal every night before bed.
18. Take 5 minutes out of the day to stop and look around.
19. Go to a museum I’ve never been to.
20. Read a new book.
21. Visit a part of Brooklyn I haven’t been to.
22. Complete my tax return. (I have an extension)
23. Keep my room clean. (No clothes on chairs, everything has to find a home)
24. Go to the gym at least 4 times a week.
25. Limit to 2 alcoholic drinks a week.
26. Go to the dentist.
27. Floss everyday.
28. Have a whole weekend without going out.
29. Get my “Hike Your Own Hike” tattoo
30. Eat only vegetarian meals on the weekends.
* It's important to note that I obviously think all of these things intertwine, but thought it would be good to break it down by category.
Good luck, and keep me posted by tagging @barrettpall on your social channels!