Gay culture isn't just bars, drag queens, and reality stars.
There are a plethora of people, places and things that aren't commonly discussed in today's typical gay conversation. I asked some of the men I look up to in my life for suggestions when it came to things they felt my generation didn't understand, but should know about, and this, mixed with some of my own thoughts, is the list that I've created.
While these 15 are extremely important things to know about, I want to make it very clear that there are so many other important things that make up a rich and vibrant gay culture. It is our duty to keep a conversation going, and it has to start within our own community before it can go any further.
Yes, we have made huge changes and advances, but things still aren't perfect, and we need to remember where we came from to know where we are going.
1. The Velvet Rage - the book that will change your life.
2. David Mixner - the activist that has done more than you can imagine.
3. Barbara Streisand - the musician that broke boundaries as an ally in ways that many of us don't fully understand.
4. Stonewall - the bar that would spark change.
5. Paris Is Burning - the documentary that would change everything.
6. Fire Island - the beach getaway that would act as a refuge.
7. When Ocean Meets Sky - the documentary that explains another world.
8. The Ali Forney Center - the organization that is helping LGBT homeless youth.
9. The Hetrick-Martin Institute - the organization that is empowering, educating and advocating for LGBT youth.
10. Weekend - the movie that reminds you what it's like to fall in love.
11. Milk - the movie that tells the important story of Harvey Milk.
12. The Normal Heart - the movie that shows what the AIDS movement really looked like.
13. Angels in America - the miniseries that acts as a history lesson.
14. Will & Grace - the comedy that broke boundaries.
15. The Trevor Project - the helpline crisis intervention and suicide prevention line.
If you have any thing that you would like to add to the list then please feel free to in the comment section below!