After having everyone and their mom tell me that I should read "The Alchemist," I finally got around to it. Let me just say, I can't believe it's taken me almost 29 years to read this fantastic book, and it truly spoke to my soul. Paulo Coelho truly speaks to your soul, and reminds you of the dreams you dreamt as a child. He pushes you to ask why you haven't looked to fulfill them, and inspires you to dream again.
If you haven't read it, than I highly recommend reading it asap. It's beyond charming, insightful, and a super quick read.
I found myself being reminded of things I preach, and had to make a note of the 10 quotes that really hit home for me.
I hope you feel inspired by these magical words, and remember that if you aren't living your dream then you aren't really living.
Here they are:
1. “But, as time passes a mysterious force begins to convince (people) that (living you dreams) will be impossible. This mysterious force appears to be negative, but actually shows you how to realize your Personal Legend. It prepares your spirit and your will, because there is one great truth on this planet: whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it’s because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It’s your mission on earth.”
2. “If I could, I’d write a whole encyclopedia about the words luck and coincidence. It’s with those words that the universal language is written.”
3. “It’s not what enters men’s mouths that’s evil. It’s what comes out of their mouths that is.”
4. “The wise man understood that this natural world is only an image and a copy of paradise. The existence of the world is simply a guarantee that there exists a world that is perfect. God created the world so that, through its visible objects, men could understand his spiritual teachings and the marvels of his wisdom. That’s what I mean by action.”
5. “You’ll never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say. That way, you’ll never have to fear an unanticipated blow.”
6 “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second f the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.”
7. “I have inside of me the winds, the deserts, the oceans, the stars, and everything created in the universe. We were all made by the same hand, and we have the same soul.”
8. “Love is the force that transforms and improves the Soul of the World…It is we who nourish the Soul of the World, and the world we live in will be either better or worse. And that’s where the power of love comes in. Because when we love, we always strive to become better than we are.”
9 “‘But this payment goes well beyond my generosity,’ the monk responded. Don’t say that again. Life might be listening, and give you less the next time.”
10. “No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn’t know it.”
May you find you be reminded of your Personal Legend that you were so sure of as a child, and feel free to chase it wherever it may take you.
Check out my kit of mindful books here: MINDFUL READING